Thursday, July 19, 2012

Late

I do realize that I am about to write about last weekend when this weekend is just about to start, but I always say, better late than never.  This past weekend was relatively calm. I met one of my best friends in the entire world, the infamous Hillary, for dinner at the 79th Street Boat Basin. She is working in the city, officially, and has a real world job. I talked about how I can't believe that I only one more year of college left and she shouted out out, "I WILL NEVER GET TO GO BACK TO COLLEGE!" Touche.

On another note, the restaurant was very nice, situated on the Hudson river with views of the water and a fun  vibe. After dinner, I went home and just relaxed. Lame, I know, but I was exhausted.

Saturday morning I went swimming and then met up with Moe and Emma for brunch at Pranna. Fun as always with the free food and drinks. Can't complain. After Pranna we went on a three hour boat cruise, compliments of New York Health and Racquet Club. The Cruise started on the East river and went all the way down around the bottom of the Financial District, up to the Upper West Side, and then back down and around. We had great views of the city from every angle, not to mention a beautiful sunset on the Statue of Liberty. We docked at around 9PM and decided to go back to my apartment to all hang out before going back out. Well... 11:30 rolled around and Emma, Charnelle and I were in my bed, ready for sleep. So we didn't go out again.

What can I say, I guess I'm just getting old.

Kusama canvases
Sunday morning I headed to the Whitney to see the new Yayoi Kusama exhibit. I was disappointing that they had sold out of tickets to see her "Fireflies on the Water" light show, but I guess I will just have to go back. The rest of her exhibit was crazy cool--I mean, this woman has willingly been living in a psychiatric ward for the past 35 years so she is a little "unique" to say the least. Some of my favorite pieces were her collages and the huge square paintings. She orchestrated many happenings during the hippie era that I wish I could have seen and even wrote a letter to President Nixon during the Vietnam War saying that she would have sex with him if he ended it! Her polka dots are probably her most noteworthy art influence, as they now cover the Louis Vuitton building on 5th Avenue. Her collaboration with LV is of great interest to me as I love to see fashion and art directly influence one another. If I could buy one piece it would definitely be the black and white sunglasses.

Sunday afternoon I took a walk around to explore the East Village/Lower East Side. I ended up in Tompkins Square Park where there just happened to be a concert going on. Who was preforming you ask? Why, only the band Transgender Jesus! Never have I ever heard of or seen such a band in my life but it was entertaining to say the least. From what I gather, it was a LGBT kind of concert that featured a few different bands. All I can say is, New York City never ceases to surprise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment