Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Circle of Life


  Yesterday, I witnessed what my mom referred to that night, as "the circle of life."  As a huge Lion King fan, I understand this concept, yet seeing it in action was heart-breaking for me.  As I stood at the Great Neck train station, waiting for my 7:47 to arrive, I heard a persistent chirping coming from below. I discovered that the noise was coming from the tracks as I starred at a little baby bird sitting in between the two rails. The little guy was old enough to jump around and had a nice plumage, but he couldn't quite fly yet. As it cried out for help, I looked around to see if anyone else was noticing this tragedy; but true to New-Yorker persona, everyone had their headphones in and couldn't care less. I strongly considered jumping in and rescuing him, but with the train arriving in 3 minutes and my mom texting me that she would kill me if I did, I had no choice but to stand there and watch him flutter his wings in attempt to escape the confines of the rail. His mother flew back and forth a few times to feed him and show him how to jump over the rails to at least get out of the way of the LIRR, but it was to no avail. He just wasn't quite big enough to jump that high and could not fly.
  I closed my eyes as the train arrived and almost shed a tear. When I got home that night there was no sight or sound of him, and I can old hope that he stayed in the middle and avoided the wheels of the evil LIRR... If only he had some help!

1 comment: