Monday, June 25, 2012

Official Resident

My new room!
Since it has been over two weeks since my last post, I will give you a quick bullet style recap of my past events:
·         *Took the LSAT (and hopefully aced it!)
·         *Have loved staying with the Sutherlands on Long Island
·         *Hated the hour and a half commute
·         *Found a room to sublet in Stuyvesant (Stuy) Town
·         *Got the room and moved in last Friday!
·         *Went out to many bars on the Lower East Side
The amazing sunset on Friday
So, my life has taken a huge turn in that I am now living on the island of Manhattan.  After moving in last Friday, I went to Caroline’s sister's birthday party which was so fun. Her theme was “burgers and bubbly” which was a delicious one for sure. She had Pop Burger cater sliders and had many a bottle of champagne, along with other libations as well.  After the party, Caroline and a couple of her friends from LI and a couple of W&L friends went out to some bars/clubs around town.  All in all, it was a great night.
Will and I on the BK Bridge
Saturday morning, I woke up around 9:30 and forced myself to shower and get dressed. I met up with Will and we took the train down into Brooklyn Heights. From there, we walked across the bridge back into Manhattan. We picked a perfect day because there were clear skies and it wasn't terribly hot. There was also a very nice breeze on the water. The bridge was amazing because you could see just how much work went into its construction. The large brown bricks are beautiful you just don’t see bridges like that built anymore.  We also had a great view of the Manhattan Bridge.  A foreign couple asked Will to take a pic of them which is not surprising, but then the guy pulled out an apple and said, “We want you to take a picture of us in the big apple with our own apple!” They then proceeded to put the apple between them and they both bit in and held that pose for a couple of shots. It was priceless.
Will and I then walked around the Financial District and grabbed a bite for lunch. We then went back to Stuy Town together because will was actually working on some sort of video recording there. Stuy Town by the way is completely adorable. It is a little village within itself, kind of situated in a park. There is a large fountain in the center of the village and they have bands play on Saturdays during the summer and have a small farmers market every Sunday morning.  After saying bye to Will, Ashley and I (who lives in the building right across from me!), went to the grocery store to do some much needed shopping.  I then went back and rested for a while because my feet were aching from all the walking. 
Later that night, Ash and I got ready to go out and made dinner for ourselves. We cooked a very delicious shrimp and linguine dish, straight out of the bag. We are top chefs. After our 5-star meal, we got dressed and hit the town. We planned on meeting up with some friends at a bar in midtown, and so we took the bus all the way up there, only to realize that I had forgotten my ID… So then we went all the way back home to get my ID, and then all the way back uptown again, only to realize that the bar we met our friends at was kind of lame and disgusting.  So then Ash and I just went back to the Lower East Side and hung out at some of our favorite spots.
Margherita pizza
At around 2AM we were getting tired and began our walk home. There is this place called Artichoke Pizza right around the corner from where we live, but we had never stopped there until Saturday night. We had always noticed the long lines outside but never thought it would be worth the wait. Well, let me tell you, it is worth it. They sell only three kinds of slices (Sicilian, Artichoke and Spinach, and margherita), but they are to die for. The crust is perfectly crispy but not burnt, and the cheese just melts in your mouth. The prices are a bit high at $4/4.50 a slice, but well worth it. They are a good size too. I got the margherita and Ash got the artichoke-spinach and I highly recommend both.  And the place stays open until 5:30 on the weekend so don’t worry about them closing early.
Gay Pride Parade
After sleeping in until 12 on Sunday, Ash and I made our way to the Gay Pride Parade. I saw this amazing display last year, but Ashley was a gay pride virgin, so she was very excited. The usual display of half-naked, ornate costumes, and flamboyant men and women, paraded all the way down 5th avenue. My personal favorite of the parade was the cowboy saloon float, that was jamming to classic country and had one guy dancing with his boots and underwear with such pizzazz; it really got the crowd going.  After watching the parade for a couple of hours, Ash and I had worked up an appetite and so we wandered around in search of some good greasy food. We settled on Big Daddy's Diner and were thoroughly satisfied. I got an omelet with tater tots smothered in chili and cheese and a waffle, with a banana split milkshake to top it off. Another place I highly recommend. We were exhausted by 4 o'clock and so walked back home and relaxed for the rest of the afternoon. All in all, a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment