Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Living Legend


One of the biggest things that my Dad and I share in common is an appreciation for good music. He was born in 1954 and so he got to experience and see some of the greatest musicians of all time (he graduated high school in '69...hello Woodstock!). I love all music, but there is truly nothing like classic rock. Last Wednesday Paul McCartney came to Charlotte and I was lucky enough to see him with my Dad. Although the tickets were quite pricey (the nosebleed section starting at almost $100), it was worth every penny. He put on such a show and performance I don't know how any one couldn't have a good time! He sang mostly classics which I enjoyed, and all of his own songs except for one tribute which he did to Jimi. He told stories of traveling around the world, hanging out with the most hip artists, and how the band started from nothing and grew to be one of, if not, the greatest rock n' roll band of all time. My favorite was when he sang "Back in the USSR" and "Blackbird". It is not possible for me to put into words just how much an impact they made on the world; I mean, people in foreign countries learned how to speak english from their records and someone a few weeks ago paid 1.2 million for a piece of paper with John's lyrics to "A Day in the Life" (still short of the 1.25 paid for the "All You Need is Love" ones)!! If I could have lived in another time, it would have definitely been the 60's.

No comments:

Post a Comment