Saturday, July 20, 2013

Chicagooooo

      It has been a week since I went but I have just been so busy with work that I forgot to blog about my trip to Chicago! I planned my trip to Chicago because one of my best friends Lauren is living there for her summer internship and I had never been to the city. My only real experience with big cities is NYC so I compared much of my visit to it.
Ohio Beach
     
      Going to Chicago was one of my first trips really traveling by myself--in all other trips I either go with a friend or my family, and even though Lauren lives there, she had to work during the day on Friday so I was left to my own devices.  Surprise surprise, I liked being alone! When you go around to tourist attractions and museums, its nice not to have someone following you or nagging you about stuff. And being the planning neat-freak that I am, I made a list of all the places I wanted to visit and foods I wanted to try. And I printed it off and crossed stuff of as I did it. Obviously.

Crown Fountain
      Some of the highlights of my trip: Millennium Park, Skydeck (the top of was what perviously the Sears Tower and now the Willis Tower), The Art Institute of Chicago, Navy Pier, and just hanging out on the "beach."  Yes these are all touristy things but they were great. For a couple of hours one afternoon I just sat in Millennium park by the Crown Fountain and watched the kids splashing in the water. I just lost myself in their happiness and lack of care about anything!  I also tried some Chicago deep dish pizza, but must admit that New York has got them beat on that front.

      Speaking about the city in general, I loved it. The people were friendly and the city was clean and easy to navigate. The only negative was that the public transportation was nowhere near as proficient or all-encompassing as NYC's. And I doubt I would enjoy their winter's. But I would definitely say that I would go back!
Hat Rack by Marcel Duchamp--I wrote about this piece in part of my Senior Thesis and got to see it in person at the Art Institute! 

No comments:

Post a Comment